Want great Myrtle Beach articles, events and deals sent straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter today!
Tax Free Weekend in Myrtle Beach
In many states it has become common practice to grant a tax free weekend towards the end of summer, and this is the case in South Carolina. This year’s weekend will be August 1 to 3, 2014, the first weekend of the month, which is the perfect timing for back to school shopping! If you’re enjoying a Myrtle Beach vacation at one of the Vacation Myrtle Beach hotels during this tax free weekend, you’ll want to have an idea of some of the best places to make your purchases on what has become the busiest shopping weekend of the summer.
Not every item is exempt from tax during this period but the legislation lays out several categories of items that are, like clothing, clothing accessories, footwear, bed linens, pillows, pillow cases, school supplies and computers.
There are a number of shopping malls along the Grand Strand where you can find shops and stores that cater for either a complete cross section or a good proportion of the tax exempt items.
Here are a few of the main shopping areas in Myrtle Beach:
• Barefoot Landing is located in North Myrtle Beach at 4898 Hwy. 17 South, and has over 100 specialty shops and stores. The mall is particularly good for apparel, accessories, shoes and household linens. Barefoot is located close to Ocean Creek Resort and Beach Cove Resort.
• Tanger Outlets - This is where you’ll find a large collection of factory outlet stores such as The Children’s Place, American Eagle Outfitters, Adidas, Gap Factory Store, OshKosh B’gosh, Rue21, Old Navy Outlet and Michael Kors. There are two Tanger Outlets in Myrtle Beach, one on Hwy. 17 on the way to North Myrtle Beach and the other on Hwy. 501 about 3 miles from the coast. Shops at each vary, so be sure to check out their stores list to see which has the shops you are looking for. The Tanger on Hwy. 17 is located close to Sea Watch Resort. The Tanger on Hwy. 501 is easiest to get to from hotel BLUE, Captains Quarters and the Palace Resort.
• Coastal Grand Mall is located near the airport and not far from Hwy. 501. More of a traditional mall, Coastal Grand has a variety of stores like Buckle, Old Navy, Aeropostale, Abercrombie & Fitch, PacSun and Lids as well as a large food court, there to curb your hunger during your shopping trip. Coastal Grand Mall is located just a short drive from Captain’s Quarters Resort and hotel BLUE.
• Broadway at the Beach is one of the shopping districts in Myrtle Beach that will be busy over the tax free weekend. As well as the many apparel stores and footwear shops look out for MAXii Electronics and for XCell Wireless Technology for Laptops and Notebooks. The Palms Resort is located only a short drive away from Broadway at the Beach.
• The Market Common is located immediately next to the Myrtle Beach Airport. This is probably a good shopping district to try if you wish to avoid the crowds and want to grab a good bite to eat at one of their delicious restaurants. Here you will find stores like Tommy Bahama, Chico’s, Orvis, Centro Shoes, Bijuju and White House I Black Market. It is also close to the southern Myrtle Beach hotels, namely: Landmark Resort, hotel BLUE, Captains Quarter's Resort, Crown Reef Resort and the Palace Resort.
Make sure you also check out the Myrtle Beach discounts you can get with the VMB Card you will get when checking in at any VMB resort, but make sure to check with the shop manager if you're doubling up on tax free and VMB Card discounts to make sure they'll all apply.